Like all unhealthy relationships, it’s time for you to end things with your addiction once and for all. It starts with you confronting your addiction head on. Your goodbye letter can come in handy in the future. When things get tough in your recovery process, you can read the letter to remind yourself why you decided to get sober in the first place.
At Resurgence Behavioral Health, we provide a community of support that makes saying goodbye to your addiction achievable and goodbye letter to drugs realistic. 101 Tips for Recovering from Addictions can help transform the life of any recovering addict from bleak to bright.
The Link Between Drug Abuse and Mental Illness
I started a new job, got a girlfriend, and started to forget you. You threatened me with illness, depression, anxiety.
Drug abuse can be a coping mechanism to maintain a brief increase in dopamine or suppress your mental illness symptoms. I am hoping this will help give me a final sense of closure, and help support other people who are struggling with substance abuse, just as I once did. I hope this gives them the hope and the motivation they need to finally seek out professional addiction treatment services. When I was in treatment we had to write a letter to the people we loved most dearly as if we had relapsed.
Things To Remember About Sobriety During Holidays
The act of journaling your relationship with addiction may be delicate at first. It’s hard to admit just how much drugs have negatively impacted you and the ones you love.
- After struggling through those first few weeks, I was determined to make a new life; one that did not include you, or any other substance, for that matter.
- I hated you and what you had done to me, but I was too scared to leave.
- Having us believe you can solve our problems, take our stress away and connect us to others in ways we think we can’t on our own.
- If you have family or friends that motivated you to give up the addiction and you want to get clean for them as well, mention them in the letter.
- Going through detox and addiction treatment is effective, but it’s common to enter sobriety feeling like there are unresolved issues.
- As you write, remember that this letter is for you.